Parents are particularly stressed at the moment! Working from home with little kids to entertain (and no nannies in sight) is a huge challenge. No more quick trips to the park, playdates or family outings, either! We’ve rounded up a few ideas for you to help you keep the little ones occupied in the upcoming weeks. Some of these are age-dependant, so just scroll along and find the activities that your kids will enjoy! Note that all these ingredients & tools are available at our Checkers, Dis-Chem, Clicks and Woolworths Food stores. These all remain open during our nationwide lockdown.
We’re suckers for a really good play-dough recipe, and it’s so super easy to make! The kids will be able to make this with some quick help from mom, dad or older siblings. This recipe takes just 10 minutes.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tbsp cooking oil Olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- food colouring
In a large bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients (flour, salt, cream of tartar) and mix well.
Mix food coloring with your water first. Then add the vegetable oil and water with food colouring to a large pot. Mix together.
Add the dry ingredients to your pot and mix well.
Cook over low to medium heat until the dough starts to form and becomes dry.
Once it starts to form a ball together and looks fully cooked, take off the heat. Let the dough cool first before touching.
Once cool, knead the dough for 5 minutes to make the dough soft.
Now that you’re done making your play-dough, get out some cookie cutters and have fun making shapes! We also like using rolling pins and stamps to play with our play-dough.
Did you know that both Checkers and Woolworths have GREAT recipes on their websites? You can find a wide range of cakes, biscuits, rusks, cupcakes and other treats and desserts. We’ve picked two of our favourites. Psssst! For the parents with even less time on their hands, note that both Checkers and Woolworths stock fabulous baking kits for everything from bran muffins to malva pudding, pancakes and brownies. Now that’s convenient! For the more adventurous or those more skilled in the kitchen, we know you’ll like these:
1. Checkers’ Mouthwatering Rooibos Koeksisters. The estimated cooking time is 180 minutes, so this will keep the kids well entertained for a good 3 hours. They’ll absolutely love twisting and plaiting the dough, and even creating their own koeksister shapes. Find the recipe here.
2. Woolworths’ Apple and Cinnamon Muffins are a healthy and delicious treat that you can keep stored for quick snacks. This recipe promises to take just 25 minutes of your time, so it’s a great option if you need something fast! Find that yummy recipe here.
3. For something sweet and healthy, the kids will absolutely love Checkers’ Sugar-Free Coconut Lollies. This recipe only needs 4 ingredients and prep time is just 10 minutes! There are a fantastic treat to keep in the freezer for those emergency moments when you need to keep the kids entertained. Find that recipe here.
4. Parents will love giving their kids these delicious Peanut Butter and Date Biscuits from Woolies. This recipe promises just 25 minutes of your time and we know that the kids will love digging into these at every teatime. Find that sweet & nuttty recipe here.
We love arts and crafts, and it’s even more fun right now with Easter around the corner. We are super into paper plate crafts right now because they are really easy! These are the perfect crafts for those parents who really just rely on whatever they have at home, or those crafts that just need one or two quick supplies on your shopping list. Remember that you can get art materials at our Checkers and Woolworths Food, so come and stock up for these adorable paper plate crafts for kids! Remember: If you don’t have googley eyes for the faces, don’t stress! Just use a permanent marker to create cute little eyes for the creatures you’re making. Have fun and stay safe, everyone!